Yogurt is fermented milk and provides us calcium, protein and probiotics etc. There are different types of yogurt depending upon flavour, region and preparation method. In this article, you will come to know about Bulgarian yogurt and its health benefits.
Bulgarian Yogurt Background
It is one of the famous yogurts of the world and its history belongs to Thracians who were ancient inhabitants of Bulgaria. Those Thracians used their body heats to ferment the sheep. It has a history about 4000 years ago and in Bulgaria, it is known with the name "sour milk". In 1900 there was a Bulgarian scientist named Dr Stamen Grigorov found that there are two bacterias responsible for fermentation of Bulgarian yogurt. These bacterial strains were Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus.
How to make Bulgarian Yogurt
It can be made from any milk i.e. sheep, goat or cow depending upon your taste. The other ingredients you require is a yogurt starter. The method is simply to boil the milk gently and cool it up to 43 degrees. Add the yogurt starter, mix it and wrap it in the blanket or warm cloth in the covered container. The sourness depends upon the time you allows it to ferment. After 6 hours yogurt is ready for use. You can take it simple or add fruits according to taste. This yogurt is the staple food of Bulgarians and can be used in sweets, desserts and soups etc.
There are many health benefits of Bulgarian yogurt such as:
• It helps in digestion because of the presence of good gut bacteria.
• It helps to strengthen the immune system by taking out the toxins and harmful substances from the body.
• Osteoporosis occurs due to deficiency of calcium, but Bulgarian yogurt contains high calcium levels which strengthen the bones and prevents degenerative changes.
• It maintains the natural flora of the gut and digestive system.
• For weight loss, Bulgarian yogurt is good and helps you to lose weight.
• It reduces the cholesterol levels which makes it good for heart health.
• It lightens the skin color and can be used as a natural remedy for sunburns.
Bulgarian yogurt is easy to made and its bacteria are very helpful in maintaining the overall health of an individual. This is safe and exhibits no side effects.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.